Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Freedom

Ever since hearing ‘Out There’ from Hunchback of Notre Dame, I’ve loved the song.
It tells of Quasimodo and his desire to be “out there”. His desire to be free.
As I was listening to the song today, I again heard the line,

Ev'ry day they shout and scold and go about their lives
Heedless of the gift it is to be them

and it struck me just how much most of us take for granted.
The concept of freedom. How many of us don’t even think about freedom? How many of us take the freedom we have for granted?
It’s not hard to do.
I do it without even realizing it. I just do what I want; walk on the streets, play in the parks, swim in local lakes, travel. And when I’m doing all different types of things, I never stop to think about the sacrifices that my freedom cost.
So many people, men, women, children, have died to ensure my freedom. Most of them knew what was happening, and decided their death was worth the freedom of those to come.
Wow.
It also brings to mind the One who has died to set everyone free.
The same thing happens with Him.
I go about my life without fear of death or fear of the future. Without the oppression of sin weighing on me. I love people without (as much) reserve. I live in spiritual freedom, and often forget to think of His sacrifices for me.
How can I change my life to be more thankful?
Personally, I will remember when I hear “Out there”.

What about you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment